Thursday, March 15, 2007

failure: my four-letter word

over the last few months, i have watched someone succeed so unbelievably where i (in my opinion) had failed so miserably... i see that person doing the things i wish i had done, and being the person i wish i had been in the same circumstances... it's very easy, now, to look back and see how i could have changed my experience, but in the moment, i was weary and overwhelmed, unprepared and uncertain... all excuses, i tell myself, for this person must have felt the same as i did, but just acted differently towards their experience...

failure is just another lesson learned... a mistake made that we will hopefully not repeat... the only problem with failure is that we, ourselves, thrust the knife so deep into our heart that we open a wound big enough for us to pour salt in freely, every day of our life... and the skin becomes sensitive around that wound, so that when someone else comes too close to us, we yell and scream at them for hurting us... only because we need a break from the self-blame for a moment... and sometimes, seeing someone thrive where we failed smarts that old wound... for though the blood may be dry and the wound may have healed, the scar has not let us forget about the pain of failure...

forgiveness has been said to be divine, and it is... but forgiveness towards whom? for if we do not forgive ourselves first, who else, then, will we truly be able to forgive? we must first forgive ourselves for thrusting the knife in so deep - only then will we be able to see the truth... that mistakes were meant to be made, failures were meant to help us grow, wounds were meant to heal, and we were meant to move on, move forward... and the core of that truth is - there are no failures, just experiences...

so, for all the things i wanted to do but didn't, all the expectations i wanted to meet but couldn't, and all the experiences i wish i had created but hadn't... here is what i have learned:

I Forgive Myself.

4 comments:

Oorbee said...

What an incredibly honest post about something we've all faced at some time in our lives.

But I'm lucky to have people behind me who believe in me and support me and that's made all the difference.

Guess what? You do too, I believe in you!

When we fail, the successes become that much sweeter.

Oorbee

ps remind me to tell you my four letter word next time we go for drinks.

Rose DesRochers said...

There is no such thing as failure, not if you believe in yourself.

Rose
http://rosedesrochers.com

Unknown said...

hiya rachna...
Came by coz you sent a request to join the indianpoets group... I have been made the moderator!

The group sucks... but you are very interesting!
Just wanted to say hi!

Unknown said...

I wish I could have your ability to write such powerful words. That is my failure...Keep expressing your emotions and events in your life. Beautiful.

Shirley