Monday, February 19, 2007

someone wrote it best

i came across this passage by eugene o'neill and it captured everything so well... so instead of writing my own entry that would probably be unmatchable, i'll just write his up instead... after all, why try to rewrite that which has been written so well?

Why am I afraid to dance, I who love music and rhythm and grace and song and laughter? Why am I afraid to live, I who love life and the beauty of flesh and the living colors of earth and sky and sea? Why am I afraid to love, I who love love? Why am I afraid, I who am not afraid? Why must I pretend to scorn in order to pity? Why must I hide myself in self-contempt in order to understand? Why must I be so ashamed of my strength, so proud of my weakness? Why must I live in a cage like a criminal, defying and hating, I who love peace and friendship? Why was I born without a skin? O God, that I must wear armor in order to touch or be touched.

Eugene O'Neill - (from The Great God Brown)

No comments: